Repairing the cabin

June 12, 2022

During the winter I had to pause my attempt to fix the roof because the temperatures were too cold to work with epoxy resin. The weather was still quite cold at the beginning of April.

Snow in the beginning of April

However, in the middle of April, the weather changed and spring came back to Germany! :tada:

Blossoms in the sun

I finally seemed able to continue the work on the outer cabin.

Discovering rotten wood

The cabin had been exposed to the weather for a long time. Over the years, water had seeped trough tiny cracks, unprotected edges or porous paint. After constantly absorbing the water, the wood had become rotten. After thoroughly examining the entire cabin, I found rotten wood almost everywhere: At the front,

Rotten wood at the front of the cabin

the wheelhouses,

Rotten wood at the wheelhouse

the back,

Rotten wood at the back of the cabin

the side,

Rotten wood at the side of the cabin

the roof…

Rotten wood in the roof

The cabin seemed ready for a thorough refurbishment!

Removing the rotten wood

I removed all the rotten wood utilizing my hand-held circular saw and router.

Removing the rotten wood in the front of the cabin

Luckily, only the outer layer had suffered. The basic construction underneath still seemed intact.

Front of the cabin without the rotten wood

Over the course of several days, I made my way all around the cabin cutting out the rotten wood.

Front of the cabin without the rotten wood

In some places, the underlying steel construction had also suffered from the wet wood and became rusty.

Rotten wood removed from the wheelhouse

Especially the frame in the back seemed quite rusty.

Rusty steel frame in the back

Removing rust and painting the steel frame

Fortunately, I started the renovation project early enough to save the frame.

Frame at the wheelhouse without rust

Most of the rust was more or less easy to remove and the steel wasn’t noticeably damaged.

Frame at the back without rust

After removing the rust, sanding and cleaning the metal frame, I applied anti-rust paint.

Frame at the wheelhouse with fresh paint

Once I had painted all the metal, the cabin seemed ready for the next step of the restoration project.

Frame at the back with fresh paint

Patching the cut-outs with new wood

Once all the rotten wood and rust was removed, I cut textured coated boards to size and started patching the gaps.

Adhering a new textured coated board onto the front of the cabin

In contrast to the previous builder, I didn’t use screws to mount the panels because most of the water had seeped into the wood through all these screws.

New wood in the front of the cabin

After adhering the new wood, I sanded everything to make sure the surface was smooth and even.

Sanded wood in the front of the cabin

I repeatedly applied the same process all around the cabin,

Adhering new wood around the wheelhouse

until all the cut-outs were properly patched.

Sanded wood around the wheelhouse

After a few weeks of intense work, I had finally reached a major milestone. All the rotten wood was removed and replaced with new panels. The cabin was ready for the next phase of its restoration! :tada: